Inspiration/Perspiration Fridays


Just Keep Breathing

LaFitterina: I’m always tracking the amount of calories that I’m burning with my exercise routine. For example, a 60-minutes barre class burns 217 calories, and 20 minutes of squats and lunges burns 82 calories. But, what exactly is meant by “burning” calories? Is it the case that fat is getting incinerated when we’re exercising hard, and somehow — ‘poof’ — the fat disappears?

A little bit of research revealed that fat loss occurs mostly by our breathing — i.e., exhaling the by-products of fat metabolism.


When fat is metabolized (oxidized), it’s converted to carbon dioxide and water. About 80 percent of the fat leaving our bodies takes the form of our breath (carbon dioxide) being exhaled through the lungs — we’re breathing away our fat cells. The other 20 percent is water expelled via urine, feces, sweat, tears, or other bodily fluids.

So, it turns out that the advice to “Just Keep Breathing” is one of the keys to weight loss.

A Little Rock, a Little Blues

Mizzfit: I got a long-distance call from Lithuania this week and St. Swartz was hoppin’ with excitement about discovering traveling country music from the 50s and 60s. Her exploration of that era proved interstellar and she was eager to share her favorites. A bit of Johnny Cash, Jerry Lee Lewis, The Miller Sisters and Junior Parker to name a few. I was happy to imagine all these cats crooning their Rockabilly and Memphis Blues out there in the woods of Lithuania. One of her faves is Mr. Lewis’ Crazy Arms, and here he is for you to check out:

We also reminisced about Joaquin Phoenix’s pretty awesome portrayal of Johnny Cash in Walk the Line – a movie which induces mucho tears. Here’s a clip of him trying out gospel on a record executive, but my fave has to be when he’s performing in Folsom Prison – I’ve got dibs on the library DVD copy…

[Img.Src: Rib Cage, Animal Energies, The Lungs ]

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner